Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Review of His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik

I'm not a big fan of dragon books, nor am I a fan of books about life at sea, so when I started reading His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik, I didn't expect to like it. Because it came highly recommended by a friend, I resigned myself to reading at least half, to give it a fair chance. It didn't take nearly that long before I was irrevocably hooked. 

This is the story of a man who comes into dragon ownership by happenstance and finds himself deeply bonded to a noble creature and having to use it in war. (And I appreciated that much of the story takes place on land and in air.)

It was charming, engrossing and meticulously well-crafted. The writing style is perfect for the story. Action scenes were well-described with enough detail to leave the reader panting for breath. Although the dragons were more richly drawn than most of the human characters, it was a terrific book. If I hadn't known this was the author's debut novel, I would never have guessed. I highly recommend His Majesty's Dragon. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the information. I love dragons AND seafaring tales. I'll have to take a look.

    ReplyDelete